Saturday, October 11, 2014

Wakey Wakey, Eggs and Bakey

Waking up at the butt crack of dawn. Some people love it, some people hate it. I've been on both ends of the spectrum.  When I started consistently working out about 8 months ago I HATED mornings and would work out after work everyday. I wasn't about waking up an extra hour early to get sweaty. Nope. Wasn't happening.
This is what I looked like when I tried..
 
 
 
Now I can't get a good start to my day without my morning workout! Waking up early took a little while to get used to, trust me.
Last week I listened to a live chat with Shaun T (my hunny bunny) and he said something that absolutely stuck with me.  He described our bodies as a battery. Each night we sleep, we recharge our battery. Once we wake up, our battery starts running. Since our battery is fully charged  upon awakening, we have the most energy and can put forth our BEST effort in our workouts in the morning hours! The further into the day we get, the lower our energy stores are, and the more umph it'll take it get you through your workouts!
 
 
Here are 5 tips to help you guys wake up at the butt crack of dawn with me ;)
 
 
1.) Visualize your morning
  • Before falling asleep, think what you morning will look like. What will your morning routine consist of?
    • Stumble out of bed at 5:30
    • Drink 8 oz water & eat Shakeology energy bite
    • Wash face to help wake me up
    • Change into workout clothes
    • Brush my teeth
    • Start my workout before my 6:00 workout reminder goes of to tell me I'm running behind!
  • That's my morning routine! You will have your own routine with specific details that will fit into your schedule.
  • This visualization will prep you for what's to come & help you mentally prepared.
 
2.) Think of a consequence
  • When you think of possibly missing your workout because you didn't wake up in time, pushed it back and did other tasks, or just said "later," how does that sit with you. Does it make you upset, annoyed, or do you even care?
  • If you mentally give yourself a small consequence that you have to pay forward for missing your workout, this may help make it easier!
  • It can be anything. Get creative!
 
3.) Be 100% prepared
  • Right before you go to bed, take a look around your workout area. Make sure everything is set up and ready in your workout area. Is you workout area clear of junk?
  • The last thing you want to be doing at 5 AM is stumbling and fumbling for stuff half asleep. Take out your shoes, clothes, sports bra, and anything else you'll need and lay it on the bathroom counter. Having it all in one spot will save you a major morning headache.
 
4.) Put your alarm across the room
  • It's annoying to hear that alarm go off when you feel like you've just put your head down. But what's even WORSE is if you hear your alarm going off and you can't roll over and press snooze. If you actually have to get up to turn the alarm off, it's a lot easier to just keep going through the door than to turn and go back to bed. You're already up, so STAY UP!
 
5.) Drink water right away
  • The first thing you should do when you wake up is drink a cold glass of water. It'll help wake you and your body up at the same time!
 
 
 
I know all of this is easier said than done. Like I said before, I HATED mornings. These tips saved me and now I can't do my workout any other time without disturbing my day. It's all about making a habit. It takes 21 days to form a new habit. Give it a try! :)
 
And when you decide to start, let me know! I'll definitely help you get through it!!
 
 
 
Until next time....
 

No comments:

Post a Comment