Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Chinese Style Crockpot Chicken & Broccoli



This recipe wasn't AS good as I anticipated it to be. Don't get me wrong, I pretty much licked the bowl, but I think it could have been seasoned more & I'm pretty sure I had it in the crockpot for WAY too long!

I put it in the crockpot around 7 PM on Sunday thinking I would be up till about 11 anyway, so I could just take it out around then. NOPE 8:30 rolled around and I was done for. So I took it off HIGH heat and put it on low over night, which is why I think it was WAY overcooked! But lessons learned :)



Ingredients
1.25 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast
1 cup chicken or beef broth
1/2 cup low sodium soy sauce
2 tbsp. honey
1/3 cup sweetener of choice
1 1/2 tbsp. minced garlic
1/4 cup cold water
1 1/2 tbsp. cornstarch
4 cups fresh or frozen broccoli


Directions
Crockpot: Pour the broth, soy sauce, honey, and seasoning into crockpot. Whisk to mix everything together. Place chicken (or lean beef) in crockpot and toss in sauce to ensure it is properly coated. Cover and cook on high for 3-4 hours, or on low for 6-8 hours.
 
After cooking, remove the chicken with a slotted spoon and place in a small bowl. Mix cornstarch and water together in a small bowl until cornstarch is dissolved. Add the cornstarch mixture to the sauce in the crockpot and stir to combine.
 
Turn up heat to high, add chicken back into crockpot, followed by the broccoli or veggie mixture. Cook for an additional 15-20 minutes or until sauce has thickened and broccoli is tender.
 
Serve over a bed of quinoa or whole grain rice if desired!
 
Nutritional Information
Serving Size: Yields 4 Servings
230 Calories per serving
3 g fat
19 g carbohydrates
31 g protein
original recipe from www.dashingdish.com


1 comment:

  1. Just a question for you... How are you calculating your protein intake in your recipes? I think your recipes sound amazing but my calculations for the protein are not adding up to what you are calculating.

    ReplyDelete